THIS CATHEDRAL CHURCH OF DARWIN
NAMED STAR OF THE SEA
AND DEDICATED IN HONOUR OF
THE IMMACULATE CONCEPTION OF THE BLESSED VIRGIN MARY
HAS BEEN ERECTED AS A MONUMENT
TO THE SOLDIERS FALLEN IN WAR
DO HONOUR THEN TO THE VALIANT
WHO HAVE GIVEN LIFE AND ALL FOR THEIR HOMELAND
THIS FOUNDATION STONE, DULY BLESSED,
WAS SET IN POSITION BY BISHOP O’LOUGHLIN
A.D 1958 Inscription on the foundation Stone July 1958
Bishop O’Loughlin blessed the foundation stone on Sunday, 13 July 1958. The stone is cut from a piece of crystalline metamorphosed rock from the open-cut at Rum Jungle mine. The stone shows extensive silification. It is rich in symbolism, uniting as it does what was a powerful centre of Territory development with the vital centre of spiritual inspiration.
The Cathedral was blessed and opened by Bishop O’Loughlin on 19th August, 1962 and consecrated on 20th August, 1972. It is dedicated as St Mary’s Star of Sea, and is the centre of the Church’s activity in the Diocese of Darwin. At the same time it is a war memorial to those servicemen, Australian, American, British and Dutch, who lost their lives while serving in this area, and to the civilian residents who died in the war. The memorial character is reflected in the series of stained glass panels in the West window, which were donated by the Australian and United States armed forces, and depict their respective emblems.